Dr Leena Borah
Assistant ProfessorPh.D. : Tezpur University
Research Interests:Greenhouse gas emission and mitigation, Climate change adaptation, Soil and agriculture, Environmental stress physiology and biochemistry, Environmental microbiology
Joined the University in Nov 20, 2015
1. Assistant Professor - 2015 - present
2. DST INSPIRE Fellow – PhD research (2010 - 2015)
3. Junior Research Fellow – Ministry of Environment and Forests funded research project (2009 -2010)
1st semester: EWS704C - Climatology and Climate Change
2nd semester: EWS804C - Environmental Stress Biology
3rd semester: EWS902C - Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology
EWS905OE1 - Global and Regional Environmental Issues
4th semester: EWS1002SP1 - Soil, Agriculture and Environment
1st and 2nd semester: Environmental Studies (AECC)
1st semester: Environment and Society (GE1)
2nd semester (BA program for Sportspersons): Environmental Studies (AECC)
|slno||Name of the Project||Name of the Principal Investigator||Name of the Copi||Name of the Funding agency||Type (Government/Non-Government)||Year||Funds sanctioned (INR in lakhs)||Duration of the project|
|1||Estimation of greenhouse gas fluxes (methane, carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide) from Deepor Beel, a Ramsar wetland site of Assam, and identification of associated environmental factors
|Leena Borah||SERB||Government||2019||52.17564||3 years|
|2||Investigation of the impacts of climate change on food and livelihood security of Assamese farmers and their adaptive responses – a study from North East India
|Leena Borah||ICSSR||Government||2019||4.00||1 year|
Research paper publications
1. Leena Borah, Bedabati Kalita, Priyanka Boro, Amenuo Susan Kulnu, Nabajit Hazarika, Climate change impacts on socio-hydrological spaces of the Brahmaputra floodplain in Assam, Northeast India: A review, Frontiers in Water: Water and Climate, vol. 4, 913840, 2022 10.3389/frwa.2022.913840
1. Leena Borah and K.K. Baruah (2016). Effects of foliar application of plant growth hormone on methane emission from tropical rice paddy. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, Elsevier 233:75-84
2. Leena Borah and K.K. Baruah (2016). Nitrous oxide emission and mitigation from wheat agriculture: association of physiological and anatomical characteristics of wheat genotypes. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Springer 23: 709-721
3. Leena Borah and K. K. Baruah (2015). Physiological and anatomical variations in three rice genotypes for transport and emission of methane. Climate Change and Environmental Sustainability 3: 58-70
4. K. K. Baruah, Boby Gogoi, Leena Borah, Manoshi Gogoi and Ratan Boruah (2012). Plant morphophysiological and anatomical factors associated with nitrous oxide flux from wheat (Triticum aestivum). Journal of Plant Research, Springer 125: 507–516
5. D. C. Uprety, K. K. Baruah and Leena Borah (2011). Methane in rice agriculture: a review. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 70: 401-411
(1) K.K. Baruah, Leena Borah and Boby Gogoi (2012) Climate Change, greenhouse gas emissions and reduction: physiological processes involved. Proceedings of the National Seminar of Plant Physiology, December 2012, ANGRAU, Hyderabad.
(1) Gitamani Dutta, Leena Borah and Nabajit Hazarika (2022) Climate change perception among the floodplain dwellers of upper Brahmaputra river. In: Baruah A, Changmai R (eds.) Biodiversity and Climate Change, Mahaveer Publications, Dibrugarh, pp. 174-187.
(2) Leena Borah (2019) Soil microbial resources as biofertilizers: Implications for food security. In: Kalita JC, Sarma D (eds.) Bioresources of North East India, Purbayon Publication, Guwahati, pp. 282-290.
(3) K. K Baruah, Leena Borah and Anushree Baruah (2011) An overview of mitigation options for Greenhouse Gas Emissions from rice-based agroecosystems in the north-eastern India. In: Saxena KG, Liang L, Tanaka K (eds.) Land management in marginal mountain regions: adaptation and vulnerability to global change. Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh, Dehra Dun, pp. 245-263.
|Sl.No||Name||Research Topic||Roll No|
|1||Soni Talukdar||Environmental Stress Physiology and Biochemistry|
|2||Priyanka Boro||Greenhouse gas emissions from the Agricultural sector|
|3||Bedabati Kalita||Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation in Agriculture sector|
|4||Tarun Kamal Das||Greenhouse gas emission from wetland|
1. Young Scientist Award by The Society for Science of Climate Change and Sustainable Environment, New Delhi, 2020
2. UGC NET in Environmental Science, 2012
2. DST INSPIRE Fellowship, 2010
3. Gold Medal in M.Sc. Environmental Science, 2009
Invited talks / Resource Person
1. Resource person for delivering a talk on “Climate Change and Ecological Footprint” in the Hands on Workshop on Ecological Footprint organized by NILOY (NGO) in association with ASTEC at Chaygaon Higher Secondary School, December 2021
2. Resource person for delivering a talk on “Impact of Climate Change in Agriculture and Allied Sector and Reducing Risk through Local Adaptation Practices” organized by State Agricultural Management and Extension Training Institute (SAMETI), Directorate of Agriculture, Assam, Khanapara in the Training Programme on Climate Change and Agriculture: Impact and Adaptation, March 2021
3. Resource person for delivering a talk on “Impact of Climate Change in Agriculture and Reducing Risk through Local Adaptation” organized by State Agricultural Management and Extension Training Institute (SAMETI), Directorate of Agriculture, Assam, Khanapara in the Training Programme on Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction, December 2020
4. Resource person to deliver a talk on “Food Security in a changing climate – management options in agriculture” in the Webinar on ‘Environmental Issues: Mitigation and Management for Human Needs’ organized by HRS The Prince of Wales Institute of Engineering and Technology, Jorhat, Assam, November 2020
5. Resource person for awareness cum deliberation session in webinar on Aspects related to “Covid Information Management and Public Awareness” Organized by Press Information Bureau, Guwahati, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, GOI, October 2020
6. Resource person for delivering a talk on 'Climate change adaptations, local coping strategies, indigenous knowlede in climate change adaptations' in the training programme on 'Practices of climate resilience in agriculture and disaster management' conducted by State Agriculture Management and Extension Training Institute (SAMETI), Department of Agriculture and Horticulture, Government of Assam, 10-12 February, 2020.
7. Invited speaker in World Environment Day Webinar conducted by Royal Global University, Guwahati, Assam on 5th June 2020; Theme: Time for Nature, Topic - Impact of climate change on biodiversity and associated ecosystem services.
Papers presented in seminar/conferences:
1. Talukdar S, Borah L and Debchoudhury PK (2021) Variations in morphological and grain characteristics of rice exposed to heat stress under irrigated conditions in National Conference of Plant Physiology- 2021 on “Frontiers of Plant Physiology for Climate Smart Agriculture” organized by ICAR-National Institute of Abiotic Stress Management, Pune, India and Indian Society for Plant Physiology, New Delhi, India
2. Kalita B and Borah L (2021) Community based traditional knowledge in nutrient and pesticide management of rice agro ecosystem in four agro climatic zones of Assam, North East India, in ICSSR sponsored National Webinar on “Sustainable approach to resource management for social development” organized by Department of Geography, Cotton University
3. Kalita B and Borah L (2020) Climate change impacts on rice agriculture and associated mitigation strategies, in Online International Conference on ‘Recent Developments in Earth and Environmental Sciences, Natural Resource Management and Climate Change with special focus on Eastern Himalayas’ organized by Department of Geology, Sikkim University, Gangtok
4. Kalita B, Borah L (2019) Climate change and vulnerability for the agricultural sector: potential adaptation strategies at the local level. National Conference on Green, Sustainable and Evolving Sciences, Cotton University, Guwahati, Assam
5. Borah L, Baruah KK (2018) Crop growth management for increasing grain productivity and reducing methane emissions from rice agriculture - role of plant growth hormones. International Conference on Climate Change, Biodiversity and Sustainable Agriculture, Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat, Assam.
6. Kalita B, Baruah KK, Borah L (2018) Sustainable fertilizer management for the improvement of soil health and crop productivity in Sali rice agroecosystem. International Conference on Climate Change, Biodiversity and Sustainable Agriculture, Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat, Assam.
7. Kalita B, Baruah KK, Borah L, Dutta M (2018) Application of plant based biological treatments in Sali rice agroecosystem for improvement of soil carbon and crop yield. International Symposium on Biodiversity and Biobanking (BIODIVERSE 2018), IIT Guwahati, Assam.
8. Borah L, Baruah KK (2017) Effect of photoperiodic stress on the reproductive biology of rice. National Seminar on recent advancements in zoological research and integrative biology. Cotton University, Assam.
9. Borah L, Baruah KK (2017) Mitigating methane emissions from rice agriculture – role of plant growth hormones. National seminar on climate change and society. Tezpur University, Assam.
10. Borah L, Baruah KK (2015) Hormonal impacts on physiological processes of rice in relation to methane emission. 3rd International Plant Physiology Congress, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
11. Baruah KK, Borah L (2014) Agricultural greenhouse gas emission and mitigation with reference to diversity in plant species. National seminar on emerging bio-inputs in biotechnology for a green environment. Gauhati University, Assam.
12. KK Baruah, Gogoi N, Borah L (2013) Genetic diversity and structure in the rice species (Oryza sativa gramineae) associated with emission and mitigation of greenhouse gases. National seminar on recent trends in bioresource management and biodiversity conservation. Rajiv Gandhi University, Arunachal Pradesh.
13. Baruah KK, Borah L (2013) Greenhouse gas emission from agricultural sources, mitigation with reference to climate change. National seminar on climate change and climate resilient agriculture. B.N. College of Agriculture, Biswanath Chariali, Assam.
14. Baruah KK, Gogoi B, Saikia P, Borah L, Bharali A (2013) Greenhouse gas emission and carbon sequestration in rice fields: emission reduction strategies. 100th Indian Science Congress, Kolkata.
15. Borah L, Baruah KK (2012) Cultivar differences in nitrous oxide emission from wheat and associated plant morphological and anatomical characteristics. National seminar of plant physiology, ANGRAU, Hyderabad.
16. Baruah KK, Borah L, Baruah A (2012) Management of plant genotypes and soil C-N ratio as biological mitigation option for nitrous oxide emission from wheat (Triticum aestivum) agriculture. The 12th International Global Atmospheric Chemistry (IGAC) science conference, Beijing, China.
17. Baruah KK, Gogoi B, Borah L (2012) Plant mediated greenhouse gas, nitrous oxide emission from wheat agriculture, 99th Indian Science Congress, Bhubaneswar.
18. Baruah KK, Gogoi B, Borah L (2011) Plant mediated nitrous oxide emission from wheat agriculture. 98th Indian Science Congress, Chennai.
19. Baruah KK, Borah L, Goswami M (2011) Greenhouse gas emission from agriculture and climate change. 98th Indian Science Congress, Chennai.
20. Borah L, Baruah KK (2010) Agricultural land use in relation to climate change. International Geographical Union (IGU) commission seminar on land use, biodiversity and climate change, Cotton College, Guwahati.
Orientation/Refresher/Other Courses completed:
1. Certificate course on Climate Resilient Agriculture offered by Assam Agricultural University, May - August 2022
2. Refresher course in Life Science, UGC HRDC NEHU, Shillong, 26 July - 8 August, 2022
3. Refresher course in Bio-resources of North East India, UGC HRDC Gauhati University, 30 January - 19 February, 2019
4. Orientation Programme, UGC HRDC Gauhati University, 21 August - 17 September, 2017
Association with Professional Bodies :
1. Life member of the Society for Science of Climate Change and Sustainable Environment, New Delhi, India
2. Life member of the Indian Society for Plant Physiology (ISPP)
Other professional activities:
1. Conducted two-month internship programme as part of Social Scientific Responsibility under DST-SERB research project, June-July 2022
2. Convener of One-day Laboratory Exposure Visit Programme for College Students, Social Scientific Responsibility under DST-SERB research project, 4th April 2022
3. Member of editorial board of the book 'Bio-resources of North East India' by UGC-HRDC Gauhati University, published by Purbayon Publication, Guwahati, Assam
Administrative assignments within and outside the institution :
1. Head-in-charge, Department of Environmental Biology and Wildlife Sciences, Cotton University (December 2018 - December 2021)
2. Member, Students Counselling Cell, Cotton University
3. Member, Disaster Management Cell, Cotton University
4. Member, Institutional Biosafety Committee, Cotton University
5. Member, Departmental Research Committee, Department of Environmental Biology and Wildlife Sciences, Cotton University
6. Member, UG-PG Board of Studies, Department of Environmental Biology and Wildlife Sciences, Cotton University
7. Member, INTACH working group of Cotton University
8. Member, Solid Waste Management Committee, Cotton University
Activities/assignments in the University :
1. Departmental representative, CBCS curriculum development committee, Cotton University
2. Chairperson in Technical Session 3 of National Conference on Green, Sustainable and Evolving Sciences, 2019
3. Member, Organizing Committee for World Environment Day
4. Member, Organizing Committee for World Water Day -2018
5. Member, Organizing Committee for World Sparrow Day -2018
6. Member, HS/UG/PG Admission Committee -2016, 2017, 2018